Right now, our City is experiencing unprecedented growth. Staff estimates population growth in excess of 5% versus 1.5% historically. This growth has fueled increased property and housing prices, increased demand for more social services, challenges our environmental sustainability and taxes our city infrastructure.
The challenge facing us, as a community, is how do we grow and prosper and maintain the lifestyle we enjoy? We all need to work together; Mayor, Council, Staff, Business, First Nations, Senior Governments, and the Community at large as we move forward.
We must balance economic, environment and social values by engaging in meaningful public involvement and by listening to our constituents. I believe very strongly that Council is there to do what the public wants.
I am a strong supporter of a good environment, a robust economy and healthy social programs. My record proves that.
I remain passionately committed to our City and I am confident that I can be extremely effective and best serve the community as a Mayor.
When we work together we all benefit.
Located in one of the most desirable areas in the world, we are blessed with an abundance of clean air and water. We have a mild climate and are surrounded by natural features providing unparalleled recreational and economic benefits.
We have scenic forests, mountains, valleys, lakes, rivers, streams, islands and marine waterways rich in life. There are outdoor pursuits for everyone of all ages including; hiking, riding, skiing, fishing, hunting, camping, mountain climbing, diving, boating, exploring, or golfing.
We are the Regional Service Center for the North Island and Central Coast with all the major transportation connections.
We have amenities and services that are the envy of most communities:
- Excellent Recreation and Community Facilities, such as the Robron all-weather field, Community Center, Sportsplex, Maritime Heritage Centre, Theater, Spirit Square, Museum, Art Gallery, Sybil Andrews Cottage, Nunn’s Creek ball fields, Arena, Pools, Curling Club and Golf Courses.
- Elk Falls Park and the Beaver Lodge Lands, Neighbourhood Parks, Green spaces, Greenways, the Baikie Island Reserve, Tyee Spit, the Sea Walk and trail systems throughout the community. We have a Heritage River, the fishing pier and Haig Brown’s Legacy.
- Airport, Highway and Network of good Roads, Sidewalks and Street Lighting.
- Abundant supply of Good Clean Water
- Great Police and Fire departments, Hospital, Extended, and Long Term Care facilities and caring Health Professionals.
- Excellent Schools, North Island College and special needs services.
- Numerous Service Groups and Organizations